Parents and students frequently have questions about when it is appropriate to keep students home from school because of illness. Waconia Public Schools follows the Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) guidelines and recommends that students be excluded from school for the following reasons:
- If your child has had a fever of 100° F or more, he or she should stay home for 24 hours after the temperature returns to normal, without fever reducing medication.
- If your child has vomited or had diarrhea, the child should not return to school until 24 hours after the last episode.
- If your child has an undiagnosed rash, please contact your medical provider before sending him or her to school.
- If having your child at school would significantly put others at risk for contracting your child's illness (Waconia Public Schools will follow MDH communicable disease guidelines).
- If your child feels ill enough that he/she would not be able to benefit from being at school.
- If you have any questions regarding sending your child to school, please contact the health office at your child's school.