Waconia Family Preschool, a 4-Star Parent Aware Program provided by District 110 Community Education, is for families with children ages 3 to 5 years old.
Early Childhood Family Center
520 Industrial Blvd., Waconia, MN 55387
Phone: (952) 442-0613 / Fax: (952) 442-0619
Goals of Waconia Family Preschool
• To promote curiosity in children by building skills of investigation, purposeful questioning, and exploration
• To support children’s physical, social, intellectual, and emotional development during the important early years of life, including children with unique learning needs that require special intervention
• To provide a nurturing, stimulating, and culturally responsive environment serving a diverse and inclusive population
• To encourage parent involvement in children’s learning, development, and education
• To foster healthy relationships and effective communication between parents and children
Class Activities Promote Age Appropriate:
- interacting with peers and adults
- learning class rules and routines
- developing self-regulation
- performing tasks independently
- following health and safety rules
- eye-hand coordination
- cutting and drawing
- coordinating body movements
- outdoor and indoor play
- STEM activities
- building curiosity in our natural world
- numbers, counting
- shapes, sizes, sequencing
- name recognition
- patterns and sorting
- literacy skills, such as vocabulary, comprehension, letter recognition, concepts of print, and phonemic awareness
Waconia Family Preschool uses Opening the World of Learning (OWL) curriculum and assessment. This research-based curriculum meets the state and federal standards for high-quality early childhood programs, including the Minnesota Early Learning Standards, Parent Aware, and the Early Childhood Indicators of Progress.
The curriculum, which has a strong focus on literacy and math skills, is organized around units. The daily schedule includes group circle time activities, center time activities, large muscle play, snack, and small-group time. Center time activities allow children to make choices in play and to practice social skills in a variety of learning stations. They include block play, dramatic play, sensory play, toys and manipulatives, art, and learning readiness small-group activities.
Wildcat Discovery Park offers children a nature-based outdoor playground experience. An early childhood edible garden, a fort building area, a unique sand box created out of logs, and traditional play equipment are available.