Early Childhood Family Center
520 Industrial Blvd., Waconia, MN 55387
Phone: (952) 442-0613 / Fax: (952) 442-0619
Welcome to Waconia Family Preschool
Waconia Family Preschool, is for families with children ages 3 to 5 years old. Waconia Community Education connects, empowers, and enriches lives through lifelong learning and service to our community. Early Childhood Education is a core component of Community Education where families and young children begin their relationship with Waconia Schools. We recognize that every student has unique needs. It is our goal that we offer the best learning environment for your child. Academic and support specialists collaborate with classroom teachers to deliver classroom instruction. This collaboration is designed to support each child who comes through our door to reach his/her full potential.
Waconia Family Preschool provide innovative classrooms where creativity and imagination flourish. Our inclusive programs help all children discover a joy of learning. Your child will be immersed in a stimulating environment that encourages physical, intellectual, and emotional development through play based investigation, purposeful questioning and exploration for deep learning and a seamless transition to kindergarten.
There are other preschool options available in Waconia, our preschool is the only preschool that aligns with the Waconia School District curriculum and the overall K-12 system. We work closely with Early Childhood Special Education and kindergarten teachers to foster a successful transition from preschool to kindergarten.
Goals of Waconia Family Preschool
At ISD110, our mission is to allow students to explore their passions and create success. In early childhood we give children a high quality preschool experience in partnership with parents. We strive to educate, collaborate, challenge, empower and support families, nurture development and treat all with respect .
- Parents are children’s first and most important teachers
- Licensed teachers nurture and provide structure to support young learners and parents
- Research based curriculum embedded with standardized goals will provide learning to ensure kindergarten readiness
- Classroom environments should be carefully designed to support developmentally appropriate exploration for preschool children
- Play opens the world of learning for the preschool child
We are a Pyramid Model School
Pyramid model is a social and emotional framework incorporated into the classroom to ensure high quality classrooms for all students. Teachers are supported in implementing this framework through the Minnesota Centers of Excellence. Children will benefit from this program through learning life long skills such as: friendship, self regulation, problem solving and learning about emotions.
Waconia Family Preschool earned a Four Star Parent Aware Rating. Parent Aware Star Ratings help parents find programs that go above and beyond to prepare children for school and life. To earn this top rating, a program must demonstrate the following:
- Exemplifies a truly engaged school readiness program for parents
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student’s progress
- Continually adapts lesson plans and goals to meet individual needs
- Regularly updates parents on child’s progress
- Has staff trained on children’s developmental disabilities
- Communicates across cultures
- Provides staff with annual professional development on relevant early childhood topics
Waconia Family Preschool uses Opening the World of Learning (OWL) curriculum and assessment. This research-based curriculum meets the state and federal standards for high-quality early childhood programs, including the Minnesota Early Learning Standards, Parent Aware, and the Early Childhood Indicators of Progress.
The curriculum, which has a strong focus on literacy and math skills, is organized around units. The daily schedule includes group circle time activities, center time activities, large muscle play, snack, and small-group time. Center time activities allow children to make choices in play and to practice social skills in a variety of learning stations. They include block play, dramatic play, sensory play, toys and manipulatives, art, and learning readiness small-group activities.
Wildcat Discovery Park offers children a nature-based outdoor playground experience. An early childhood edible garden, a fort building area, a unique sand box created out of logs, and traditional play equipment are available.
Waconia Preschool programs are inclusion and open to all children.
Class Activities Promote Age Appropriate:
- interacting with peers and adults
- learning class rules and routines
- developing self-regulation
- learning about emotions
- problem solving
- friendship skills
- performing tasks independently
- following health and safety rules
- eye-hand coordination
- cutting and drawing
- coordinating body movements
- outdoor and indoor play
- STEM activities
- building curiosity in our natural world
- numbers, counting
- shapes, sizes, sequencing
- name recognition
- patterns and sorting
- literacy skills, such as vocabulary, comprehension, letter recognition, concepts of print, and phonemic awareness
About the Staff
Waconia Family Preschool teachers are highly trained in best practices and assessment. Teaching staff are licensed by the MN Dept. of Education. We also employ support staff for students, teaching assistants and parent educators. Continuing education and staff in-services are available throughout the school.