Obtaining a Device (Grades 5–12)
Option 1: Bring a device you already own
Students are welcome to bring a laptop or Chromebook that they already own if the device meets the district's requirements.
Option 2: Purchase a device through Best Buy with a $100 District 110 contribution as a discount
District 110 has partnered with Best Buy for Education to provide families an opportunity to purchase a discounted device and with the Best Buy Geek Squad to provide on-site tech support of family-owned devices throughout the school year. Parents of students in Grade 5 and newly enrolled students grades 5-12 are eligible in the 2018-2019 school year. Students will be eligible to purchase one discounted device per student during one specific school year and then will be eligible again in 4 years. To see the eligibility of your child click this link.
District 110 has selected four devices from which you can choose to purchase at a reduced price. Click here for a video on how to purchase a device.
- The web store will open on approximately Aug 1, 2018 (parents of students in Grades 5 are eligible). Remember, this year's eligible students will not have an opportunity for the $100 coupon for another four years.
- The $100 allowance code will be sent to eligible families in early August. Families should contact the Best Buy Education Support Team at 888-218-9474 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in the order process.
- Click here for Device options
- Families are encouraged to purchase a protection plan for student devices.
- The Best Buy Education support team is available at 888-218-9474 for assistance Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Option 3: Borrow a school-owned device
If you do not currently own a device and choose not to purchase a device for your child, a family can enter into an agreement with District 110 to borrow school-owned device (Chromebook). A school-owned Chromebook may be checked out by students in grades 5-12 during Open House on Aug. 22.
The Mobile Device Loan Agreement must be printed, filled out, signed, and submitted at the time of receiving the Chromebook.
Optional School-Owned Device Insurance Coverage
Option 1: School insurance—$50 nonrefundable
This will include coverage for hardware failure, theft, repair, accidental damage including screen repairs, and liquid damage. It does not include deliberate or negligent damage to the Chromebook, and does not cover the case, charger, or cord. Insurance can be purchased via online payments in SmartSchools K-12; under My Accounts, select the item titled Mobile Device Protection.
For detail information on this School insurance coverage, please click here
Option 2 - Self insured
Families may choose not to insure the school-owned device and will take full responsibility for repairing and/or replacing the damaged, lost, or stolen device.
If the damage is deemed accidental, the following fees will apply:
Damaged or broken screen may cost up to $90
Replacement cost for a charger is up to $50
Replacement cost for the mobile device is as follows: