Obtaining a Device (Grades 5–12)
Option 1: Bring a device already owned
- Students may bring a laptop or Chromebook that they already own if the device meets the district's requirements.
Option 2: Purchase a device through Best Buy with a $100 District 110 contribution as a discount.
- If you choose not to use this option in the year that your child is eligible you give up the opportunity to purchase a device with the district contribution for another four years (To see the eligibility of your child click this link.)
- District 110 has partnered with Best Buy for Education to provide families an opportunity to purchase a device at a discount of $100.
- Parents of students in Grade 5 and newly enrolled students grades 5-12 are eligible in the 2020-2021 school year. To see the eligibility of your child click this link.
- Students will be eligible to purchase one discounted device per student during one specific school year and then will be eligible again in 4 years. To see the eligibility of your child click this link.
- Click here to compare Chrome and Windows devices
- The web store will open on approximately Aug 1, 2020, to those students who are eligible. To see the eligibility of your child click this link.
- The $100 allowance code will be sent to eligible families in early August via the primary parent's email as indicated in Infinite Campus.
- Click here for Device options
- How to purchase--Click here for links to the products on bestbuy.com and direction fo the order process.
- Families are encouraged to purchase a protection plan for student devices.
- Families should contact the Best Buy Education Support Team for assistance in the order process at 888-237-8289 for assistance Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Option 3: Borrow a school-owned device. By choosing this option you give up the opportunity to purchase a device with the district contribution for another four years.
- If you do not currently own a device and choose not to purchase a device for your child, a family can enter into an agreement with District 110 to borrow a school-owned device (Chromebook). A school-owned Chromebook may be checked out by students in grades 5-12 during Open House in August 2020.
- The Mobile Device Loan Agreement must be printed, filled out, signed, and submitted at the time of receiving the Chromebook.
Optional School-Owned Device Insurance Coverage
Option 1: Annual School insurance—$50 nonrefundable
This will include coverage for hardware failure, theft, repair, accidental damage including screen repairs, and liquid damage. It does not include deliberate or negligent damage to the Chromebook and does not cover the case, charger, or cord. Insurance can be purchased via online payments in SmartSchools K-12; under My Accounts, select the item titled Mobile Device Protection.
For detail information on this School insurance coverage, please click here
Option 2 - Self-insured
Families may choose not to ensure the school-owned device and will take full responsibility for repairing and/or replacing the damaged, lost, or stolen device.
If the damage is deemed accidental, the following fees will apply:
Damaged or broken screen may cost up to $90
Replacement cost for a charger is up to $50
Replacement cost for the mobile device is as follows: